Archbold, OH

Tyler Priest Goes Home

Tyler Priest, 13, went home to Van Wert, Thursday, Oct. 2, 88 days after he was critically injured in a fall from a tractor on Sunday, July 6.

Tyler is the son of Bob Priest, a former Archbold High School teacher and football coach, and Kara Priest.

Tyler was taken to Parkview Hospital in Ft. Wayne, Ind., after he was run over by a tractor. His father said in an interview that was published in this newspaper on Sept. 3, they were told Tyler’s brain stem hemorrhaged for about one second, and that it would take two years to heal.

Tyler was transferred to Toledo Children’s Hospital on Aug. 4 for rehabilitative therapy.

According to a web blog that follows Tyler’s progress, Tyler is excited to be home. Before he left TCH he was walking with a walker, with assistance, and walked about 10 minutes on a treadmill.

He is working on his upper body strength, his eating, and is trying to communicate.

He went to part of the Friday, Oct. 3 Van Wert football game, and according to the blog, “he was there for the touchdown, so he was able to honk his horn and play the Ohio State University song on his Brutus.”

Tyler is using sign language to communicate, and the blog said, “he can hear you and understand; he just can’t talk quite yet.”

He was supposed to start outpatient therapy at Van Wert this week.

“He continues to be able to eat soft food; he enjoyed some French fries last night, and of course his Mountain Dew,” the blog read in an Oct. 4 post.

As Bob said in the Sept. 3 interview, “We know there is light at the end of the tunnel. We just don’t know how long the tunnel is.”

As of Oct. 4, the tunnel just got a little shorter.

Keep up with Tyler’s progress by visiting http://tylerpriest8. on the Internet. Cards and letters may be sent to Tyler’s grandparents: Bob and Marcia Priest, 8232 Zook Road, Van Wert, OH 45891 or Bill and Mary Fallis, 16626 Dull Robinson Road, Ohio City, OH 45874.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *