Jayson Selgo, superintendent of the Archbold School District, reviewed a tentative plan for feeding children who rely on the district for meals at the Monday, March 23 school board meeting.
Students in schools across Ohio are currently away from their classrooms as a result of an order from Mike DeWine, governor.
DeWine handed down the order Thursday, March 12. School is suspended until at least Monday, April 6, to combat the spread of the Coronavirus.
In an interview after the meeting, Selgo said the tentative plan provides two meals daily for students who normally receive free and reduced-price breakfasts and lunches.
He said district cafeteria and transportation workers will come together at the high school cafeteria twice a week to prepare meals. The first day for meal preparation and distribution is today, Wednesday.
On Mondays, workers will prepare meals for Monday lunch through Thursday breakfast. Meals can either be picked up at the school or delivered by bus drivers.
On Thursdays, meals will be prepared for Thursday lunch through Monday breakfast.
That, however, left nothing for four meals: breakfast and lunch on Monday and Tuesday, March 23-24.
Selgo said Rivello McDonald’s, a local company operating fast-foot restaurants in several communities, volunteered to assist.
Parents were sent letters and coupons for Monday and Tuesday meals last week, Selgo said.
Selgo said teachers are working on developing curriculum materials to help students continue learning at home.
Students in grades 1-12 will have access to electronic devices. District officials will work with families who need assistance with technology.
Students will have a series of assignments distributed to them via email on Mondays. They have until 11:59 pm the following Sunday night to email the assignments to their teachers.
Some classes pose different challenges, but teachers are addressing them, Selgo said.
For example, physical education teachers were laying out activity goals for their students.
Chemistry teachers were planning to videotape themselves conducting demonstrations or referring students to science websites, where students could view experiments.
Kindergarten students, Selgo said, are not comfortable with computers.
Their teachers are preparing paper-based activities that parents can download and print.
At-home learning begins Monday, March 30.
School buildings were open Monday for students to retrieve personal items.
The buildings will be closed to non-essential personnel until Friday, April 3, per DeWine’s order.
He said district telephones will not be monitored. Officials plan to communicate through the district website, the district automated telephone message delivery system, and social media.
The school website will be the primary source.
In other action, Christine Ziegler, district treasurer, said while she would normally present her five-year financial forecast to the board in April, she will delay her presentation until May.
The Ohio Department of Education requires the forecast be approved by May.
Among the reasons she cited for the delay was the appeal of the property tax valuation filed by the operators of the Rover natural gas pipeline.
While the appeals process is underway, Rover officials are allowed to pay the amount they estimate they owe in property taxes vs. what the state determined the company owes.
The difference for the school district is $630,000, she said.
Also, the shutdown resulting from the Coronavirus will impact her budget, she said.
As part of its consensus agenda, the board approved an overnight trip to Washington, D.C., for eighth-grade students, for April 29-May 2, 2021.
Selgo said the district is eligible for about $34,600 of grant money toward the purchase of a new school bus.
It is time to update the fleet, he said.
The money will pay about a third of the cost of a new vehicle. The board approved soliciting bids.
Karen Beck, board member, was absent. The next meeting is Monday, April 20, 5 pm in the AHS media center.