Archbold, OH
Mostly sunny
Mostly sunny

Golden Notes Of Archbold’s Memorable Past

Ten Years Ago

Wednesday, Jan. 28, 2009

When the economy turns sour, Cecily Rohrs’ telephone rings.

“My phone was full this morning. I had 47 messages,” she said Friday, Jan. 23.

“The calls I’m getting now are not from people who are in generation poverty, but people who are brand new to poverty,” she said.

Ken Caldwell, director of Fulton County Department of Job and Family Services, confirms Rohrs’ observation.

“There are families we see over and over, but we’re seeing an increasing number of people we have not seen before,” he said.

Work to repair the floor and foundation of the Ruihley Park Scout Cabin will be done during the last two weeks of February.

Jennifer Kidder, director of Parks and Recreation, said the board accepted the bid of $9,960 by Miller Construction, Ridgeville Corners.

Jim Wyse recently joined the board of Community Hospital and Wellness Centers Bryan, according to Phil Ennen, president and chief executive officer. Wyse has served on the advisory board for two years.

Deaths–Edward E. Keim, 86, Archbold; Marvin J. Nafziger, 75, Archbold; Kevin L. Cole, 53, Wauseon

Scott Miller was reelected president of the Archbold Area School Board.

Twenty-Five Years Ago

Wednesday, Jan. 26, 1994

The McLaughlin Memorial Library Board took purchase options on two properties east of the current library building, Tuesday, Jan. 18.

Options specify a purchase price of $58,000 for the Alva Roth property and $75,000 for the Shepherd property, owned jointly by Robert Figgins, Archbold, and Charles Shepherd, Bryan.

If private dollars for public school districts are the wave of the future, Pettisville is riding on the crest of the wave. Within a year, the community raised over $1.8 million to construct a new gymnasium and media center, which was initiated by the Pettisville School Foundation, a private organization founded to support the district.

Gary and Carolyn Fidler, Archbold, were in California visiting family when a massive earthquake shook the area Monday at 4:30 am. “It sounded like a freight train a foot away from the bed,” said Carolyn. “Things were flying off the walls, the TV flew out of the entertainment center, and it was pitch black.”

Teri Burkholder, a Burlington native and Los Angeles resident since 1971, said she’s an earthquake veteran, but never experienced anything like the Jan. 17 quake.

Barbara Short, wife of Archbold native Erik, said where they live in Altadena, they were 209 miles away from the center of the quake.

“It was amazing. I’ve never been in an earthquake like that one. I felt like, if it goes on any longer, the whole house is going to fall in.” When asked if the Shorts are thinking about returning to Ohio, Barbara said no.

Articles of incorporation were filed with the Ohio Secretary of State by two Archbold corporations. Articles for profit were filed Jan. 12 for Lantz Manufacturing Corporation. Incorporators are Charles, Sharon, and Dave Lantz. Also filing articles for profit was Auto Images, Inc. Douglas K. Rufenacht, 1630 South Defiance Street, was listed as the incorporator and agent.

The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio granted extended service to Ridgeville Corners telephone users Jan.19. The authorization will save Ridgeville telephone users approximately 74% on toll call charges between their community and Archbold, as well as calls to Napoleon.

Andrea Genter, daughter of Dean and Kathy, an 8th grader at Pettisville, was honored by the Northwest Region of Ohio Farm Bureau Federation. She was named Youth Leader of the Month for her involvement in youth activities. She has been serving as youth council president.

David Liechty, AHS ‘92, son of Doug and Judy, who is stationed with the US Marines in Somalia, Africa, is part of the Marine evacuation. He was told the Marines will be out of Somalia by March 31.

Honor Students – Jeff Corbin, OSU; Denay Rupp, Anderson University, perfect 4.0; Danielle Childs, Heather Grieser, Nathan Roth, Benjamin Ryan Short, Matthew Stamm, Archbold, University of Toledo; Trisha Wooley, Judy Blosser, Jason Grieser, Pettisville, University Community and Technical College; Jeremy Hurst, Ridgeville Corners, University College; Eric Nofziger, University of Cincinnati; Carrie Roth, Kerrin Short, Kristin King, Sandra Rasey, Bluffton College.

College Grad – Jennifer Grime, OSU

Heading into the last week of matches for the junior high wrestlers, Clark Forward, Justin Grime, and Kevin Bostelman remained unbeaten with individual championships in the Archbold Invitational.

Roger Weber, Pettisville, is the new part-time maintenance man in German Township. He replaces Andrew King.

Rick Hodges, an AHS graduate and state representative for the 79th district, spoke to Archbold fourth graders last Friday during an afternoon assembly.

Deaths:­Alta M. Nafziger, 90, Archbold; Ray A. Rupp, 67, Archbold

Fifty Years Ago

Wednesday, Jan. 29, 1969

Approximately 5,567 cans of beef were processed by the Mobile Meat Cannery at the new Sauder Woodworking Beech Street Plant Monday and Tuesday. More than 200 volunteers aided with the processing. All the canned meat is donated to the Relief of World Hunger.

Robert Rose, Ronald Layman, Marce Gayton and Daryl Grime, members of Archbold BLW Post 311, attended the Jan. 25, mid-winter American Legion Convention in Columbus.

Two farms belonging to the estate of Melvin C. Lauber, 6 1/2 miles northeast of Archbold, were sold at public auction, Saturday. Mr. and Mrs. Merrill Short bought the 36 acres for $840 an acre, and Ray Merillat bought the 19- acre tract for $13,650.

Mr. and Mrs. Joe Traut and Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Wyse attended the National Turkey Convention in Cincinnati, Jan. 8-10.

The Fulton County Hospital Commission has signed a contract with Conrad & Simpson, an architectural firm in Cleveland, to begin work on the new Health Center.

Loren Stuckey was the bidder for the Charles and Goldie Donier farm sold at public auction last week. He paid $479 per acre for the 120-acre farm on State Road 191, two miles south of West Unity.

Seventy-Five Years Ago

Wednesday, Feb. 2, 1944

Pfc. Melvin C. Schroeder, 19, of Archbold, is the second inductee from this community to lose his life in the war. He lost his life Jan. 5, in Italy, according to his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Carl Schroeder. A telegram arrived Saturday from the War Department to inform his parents of his loss.

The top price of $292 per acre was paid by Clarence L. Wyse for the Christian S. Eicher farm, Friday, southeast of Archbold, at public auction.

Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Wendt, south of Archbold, received a letter from their son, Pvt. Vernon Wendt, in the South Pacific. “Today is Sunday and we just had chow (or dinner to you.) Wasn’t so hot, ate lamb again. We get quite a bit of it. I suppose you folks had steak or chicken, huh? We’re still on this French Island.

“I met three boys from Archbold so far: Wayne Wyse, Vernon Graber, and Earl Sigg. We’re all close together.”

Mrs. Leander Dominique left Friday evening with Miss Joan Ebberger of Bryan to visit Sgt. Vearl Dominique, who is stationed at Westover, Mass.

Sgt. Paul E. Pursel writes his father, Mr. Weldon, he is somewhere in England and has been overseas 17 months.

Val Flory received a letter from William J. Cramer, who formerly lived with him and is safe in England. He said he was never in better health, although he is 50 pounds overweight. He married a girl from Webster, Mass., in September.

Russell Harvey and Lowell Grieser have recently been moved from Jefferson Barracks, Mo., where they received basic training, to Huntington, W. Va.

A.J. Stamm was reelected a member of the DeEtte Harrison Detwiler Memorial Hospital board. J.J. Rychener, Pettisville, was named to succeed J.L. Weisenfelder of Archbold, who moved to Adrian, Mich.

100 Years Ago

Tuesday, Jan. 21, 1919

A capacity house greeted the first performance of “Deacon Dubbs.” The play was given by the high school pupils at the Town & Township Hall, Friday evening. Some patrons were turned away, and the performance was repeated again on Saturday evening to a large audience.

Gross receipts for both nights were $135. The various parts of the play were well-handled, the comedy was good and brought continuous roars of laughter and applause.

The play will be given at Giffey Hall in Ridgeville Corners, Thursday evening.

Some people are so unreasonable. A lady telephoned the printer to print a ribbon to go with a basket of flowers for a funeral. She said to print “Rest in Peace” on both sides.

She got as mad as a hornet when she received the ribbon with this printed on both sides: “Rest in Peace on Both Sides.”

Friday, Jan. 24, 1919

A representative of the Heinz Pickling Co. was in town Wednesday. He said business relations here in Archbold are satisfactory for the first year. The company has contracted for 95 acres and the crop was fair.

The frost came too early, but growers still realized a nice profit. He said the tomatoes left in the field is the finest kind of fertilizer for corn and wheat. Either crop will follow tomatoes nicely.

The company will know in a few days if contracts will be offered for the coming year.

Men came from 50 miles around to attend the Beaverson sale Tuesday. The weather was perfect, the crowd good-natured, and bidding lively. Cows sold from $190 to $315. Heifer calves brought over $100 each.

The excellent appearance and condition of the stock had much to do with demand. When farmers give cows as careful attention as their horses, the value of milk animals will increase. The cost of milk cows is paying a big interest on the investment.

Freeman Poorman, son of Mr. and Mrs. W.F. Poorman of Archbold, returned home Wednesday evening after an absence of two years.

Freeman disappeared from home on Jan. 30, 1917, and it was Aug. 19, 1918, before his parents received word from Washington, D.C., saying he was seriously wounded in action, July 18. They searched far and wide for Freeman and a reward was offered for his whereabouts, but no success. He was with Co. A 16th infantry when wounded. He served on the Mexican border, and after being transferred to several camps, he was sent across over a year ago. He spent a year in France.

About July 1, word was received his company was to try to take a certain stone road. On the morning of July 18, the battle of Chateau Thierry began. He was sleeping in a trench when orders were given to go over the top. He was in the first line until 10:30 when he was struck in the left hip by a German rifle bullet. He lay there until the second line appeared and was given first aid by the French Red Cross.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *