Lockport Celebrates 175th Anniversary This Weekend
Two days of events are planned, starting with a program tracing the history of the community at 11 am, Saturday, Oct. 1, at Lockport Mennonite Church.
Following the introductory program and a lunch at the church, there will be driving tours of the area.
Lockport was surveyed into 110 lots and 10 streets in 1836 at the request of John Evans, first recorder and clerk of courts of Williams County.
It was believed the Tiffin River would become part of the Ohio canal system, so the word “port” was part of the village name.
By 1864, Lockport boasted a sawmill, gristmill, cooper shop, blacksmith, general store, school, cemetery, and many homes.
One of the stops on the tour will be the Goll Woods Barn. In 1837, Peter Goll, a French immigrant, purchased part of what is today known as Goll Woods.
Sunday events start with a 9:15 am worship service at Lockport Mennonite.
Members of the planning committee for the anniversary celebration include Rose and Glen Burkholder, Sue and Ben Buehrer, Jack Hancock, Bob Hausch, Leon DeGroff, Helen Bell, and Myrna Grove.