Garage Fire Destroys Building, Old Car
A fire that resulted from a gasoline spill while two men were working on an old car destroyed the car, a garage, and resulted in second-degree burns to one of the men.
Andy Brodbeck, Archbold Fire Department chief, said the men were working on the 1960sera auto, Thursday, April 30, in a garage owned by Scott Norris, 19430 Co. Rd. A.
At about 2:05 pm, they were removing gasoline from the fuel tank when some gas spilled and contacted a work light. The gasoline ignited, and quickly spread to the car and building.
Brodbeck said the call came in as a vehicle burning inside a garage.
Gary Esterline, an AFD firefi ghter from Pettisville, was first on the scene. He reported the garage was fully involved and that the fire was threatening a large barn, 12 feet away.
He used a garden hose to cool the barn until fire units arrived.
Brodbeck said he immediately called Wauseon Fire Department for help.
AFD Engine 104 was the first to arrive. Brodbeck said the firefighters' first priority was to protect the barn, then turn hoses on the burning garage.
"The winds were in our favor," blowing the flames away from the barn, Brodbeck said.
However, at one point, the barn siding "was too hot to touch."
Brodbeck said after the fire was extinguished, the car and garage were declared a total loss. Damage was estimated at $30,000 to the garage and $10,000 to the contents, which included tool and lawn mower parts.
Galen "J.R." Grieser, Jr., rural Archbold, received second degree burns to one hand. He was treated at the scene by Archbold Rescue, then transported to a hospital by private vehicle.- David Pugh